The national Bakels Legendary Sausage Roll Competition has this year been taken out by Auckland’s Rosedale Bakery & Café.
NZ Bakels managing director Brent Kersel said the quality of the winning sausage roll’s seasoning was what got it over the line for the gold award.
“Second place was a little bit over-seasoned,” he said. “With the gold, they got the seasoning right, the pastry was cooked well, good colour, and all five judges chose that as the legendary sausage roll at the end of the day when it was a split decision on the top two finalists.”
Taking on Rosedale Bakery in the final was the Euro Patisserie in Auckland’s Torbay.
“We only launched this competition in 2020 and here we are in 2023, 408 entries,” Kersel explained.
“It’s been a great competition and I think the best sausage roll won on the day.”
New Zealand is well-known for its love of sausage rolls and were a common feature of the country’s recent election campaign, with Labour leader Chris Hipkins having a well-documented weakness for the tasty pastry.
- Gold: Rosedale Bakery & Café, Flat 9, 215 Rosedale Rd, Albany, Auckland
- Silver: Sopheap Long Euro Patisserie, 1028 Beach Rd, Torbay, Auckland
- Bronze: Lee Ing Fast & Fresh Bakery, 8 Horomatangi St, Taupō
- H/C Cameron McKelvey, 16th Ave Café, 762 Cameron Rd, Tauranga South, Tauranga
- 5th Peggy Zhang, Kitchen Republic Cafa, 32 Bureta Rd, Otamoetai, Tauranga
- 6th Lam Ho, Paetiki Bakery, 199 Rifle Range Rd, Taupō
- 7th Dara Iv, Sockburn Bakery, 146 Main South Rd, Sockburn, Christchurch
- 8th Rachel Jerard, Indulge Catering, 16 Birmingham Dr, Middleton, Christchurch
- 9th Greaham Clark, Peter Timbs Meats, 72 Edgeware Rd, St Albans, Christchurch
- 10th Vanndy Vit, Old Taupo Rd Bakehouse Café, 45 Old Taupo Rd, Mangakakahi, Rotorua.